Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Treats

I love Halloween. I really do. I don't care that we don't really celebrate it in Australia. And I also don't care that it is a hallmark holiday and blah blah blah SHUSH I love Halloween.

This year I am watching old horror movies like Rosemary's baby and Psycho and maybe Rocky Horror will make a worn out appearance. I have also prepared these suitably terrifying treats.

Graveyard Brownies
Makes: 6 large graves :)

Ingredients:
200g unsalted butter chopped
200g dark chocolate, broken
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 cup plain flour
3 teaspoons cocoa powder

Decoration:
Nutella
8 oreo cookies
Gummy worms
3 arrow root biscuits
Icing for writing

Make it:
1. Preheat oven to 190 C. Line 5 cm deep square cake pan with baking paper.
2. Heat butter, chocolate and sugar on low heat stirring constantly until smooth. Transfer mixture to bowl to cool slightly.
3. Add eggs and vanilla to mixture. Mix well. Sift in flour and cocoa. Stir to combine.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Place on wire rack to cool.

Decorate it:
1. Cover brownie slab with a generous layer of nutella
2. Remove cream from Oreos and crush. Scatter over the nutella until almost completely covered.
3. Break arrowroot biscuits in half. Use these as the tombstones. You can write messages on the tombstones with icing.
4. Use gummie worms to decorate.

Toffee Apples

Ingredients:
4 medium sized green apples
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup water
Red food colouring
4 long scewers

Make it:
1. Stick the scewers into the core of the apples and make sure they are secure. Prepare tray covered with baking paper.
2. Stir together sugar and water in a saucepan on low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Return to low heat and let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes until syrup begins to thicken and turn golden.
5. Add a few drops of red food colouring to make it look extra poisonous.
6. Roll apples in the mixture. Allow excess to drip off and place on tray.
7. Repeat this process 3-4 times until desired amount of toffee has stuck to the apples. You can pour more over the apples on the tray using a spoon.
8. Allow to cool.

2 comments:

  1. I ADORE ALL OF THIS.
    I'm going to a party tonight dressed at Magenta from Rocky Horror. I'm also making Zombie cupcakes.

    Life is grand.

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to hear someone else is embracing the festivities! You MUST post photos of your zombie cupcakes. I miss you also. :(

    ReplyDelete